[syslinux] extlinux & symbolic links

Ryan Wilson rwilson.cart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 09:16:37 PDT 2007

On 7/24/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
<snip>

> > Right now, /boot is not on a separate partition. What do you mean by
> > reproducing it on a small partition? Did you mean to just put the
> > contents of /boot on a USB stick by itself and see if extlinux would
> > boot it? I'll try separating /boot onto its own partition and see what
> > happens.
>
> Yes, that's what I mean.  Obviously you also need to run extlinux on the
> USB stick.
>
>         -hpa

So I gave it a try and now, when trying to boot via my symlinks in
QEMU, it says:
Could not find kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz

and then returns me to the prompt.

Although now I seem to have another problem. When I try to boot
without the symlinks in this configuration, it shows that it is
dots.

So I tried my USB key on real hardware. When I boot on real hardware,
booting with symlinks appears to just hang (I entered my boot option
and extlinux just sat there). Booting without symlinks on real
hardware worked just fine (kernel and initrd booted properly).

Ryan