[syslinux] ISOLINUX boot problem: request for help

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jul 26 15:57:27 PDT 2007

Peter Bartke wrote:

> This is a Live CD which starts from RAM-disk. Please correct me, if I'm
> wrong - after seeing the message `Ready.', isolinux.bin transfers control
> to the vmlinuz in RAM. And the kernel has its initial boot disk in RAM.
> To me this seems more a RAM problem (finding the entry point?) than a CD
> read problem.  By the way, I made a complete mem86 RAM test to exclude
> dirty bits.

"Ready." is indeed the point at which we transfer control to the kernel
setup code.  It might be interesting to put "vga=ask" on the kernel
command line; that should give you some interaction with the kernel
setup code, which runs in real mode before the kernel is decompressed.
That will help narrow down the problem.