[syslinux] ISOLINUX boot problem: request for help

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jul 27 07:19:36 PDT 2007

Tomas M wrote:
>> What it looks like to me is that ISOLINUX reads the data in question,
>> but gets corruption from the BIOS.  What kernel version are you trying
>> to boot?
>
> I think I can answer this question, as the author of Slax6rc5 :)
> The kernel is 2.6.21.5
>
> A question, what shows the "uncompressing kernel" message? isolinux or
> kernel itself?

"Uncompressing kernel..." comes from the kernel decompressor, which is
the second of three stages embedded in the kernel image.

Stage 1 is the kernel setup code.  Usually silent, but if you specify
"vga=ask" you get a menu from the setup code.

Stage 2 is the kernel decompressor, prints "Uncompressing kernel... done."

Stage 3 is the kernel proper, which prints a number of messages, of course.