[syslinux] ISOLINUX boot problem: request for help

Peter Bartke bartke at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 30 05:46:04 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin schrieb am Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 09:04:12PM -0700:

> Interesting.  This implies that the failure is very early in stage 2, or
> during the transition from stage 1 (setup) to stage 2 (decompression.)
> This is also the point at which transition happens from 16-bit real mode
> to 32-bit protected mode.

Can you imagine a sitation that at this point initrd.gz, a file needed
to be uncompressed to ramdisk, ist not found?

> This could imply either that something is going on clobbering high
> memory, or the protected mode transition failed.  Either is a Very Bad
> Thing.

I cannot believe that this happens. Remember that the same vmlinuz and
initrd.gz start with eltorito from grub. isolinux would be made
responsible for doing something with high memory. No.

> Are you using the syslinux menu system at all?  If so, does it work on
> this machine?

As I understand it, the isolinux.bin uses isolinux.cfg to show the
content of the latter file by means of vesamenu.c32 on linux
framebuffer. This works perfectly.
Maybe that's not the whole story? I didn't think syslinux is in the way
when you boot by CD.

Booting by syslinux from USB would be the next step in testing Slax,
when CD boot works. It's a little bit clumsy with this BIOS, you have to
press F8 early to get to the boot menu. Sorry, no experience with
syslinux on USB yet.

Peter