[syslinux] IP details in COM32 module

Wagner Ferenc wferi at niif.hu
Tue Jun 5 11:01:36 PDT 2007

"Coe, Colin C. (Unix Engineer)" <Colin.Coe at woodside.com.au> writes:

> I tried adding 'ipappend 1' to the pxelinux config files but had no
> joy.

Didn't it work as advertised?  It should.

> I'm thinking that if I write a COM32 module that adds "ip=1.2.3.4
> gateway=1.2.3.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 dns= etc" to the end of the
> append line my problem may be solved.

See http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2007-April/008308.html for a
patch that does what you need (if I understand it correctly).
Basically, it lets you use macros in the kernel command line, which
expand to values read from the DHCP packet.  So in your pxelinux
config file you would write something like

label example
  linux vmlinuz-2.6.18
  append ip=$YIADDR$ gateway=$ROUTERS$ netmask=$MASK$ dns=$DNS$

In the previous you can find another path, which probably does almost
the same.  My patch is against 3.50-pre2, by I'd expect it to apply to
the current 3.50 release candidate.  If it does not, I'm willing to
shake it into form.
--
Cheers,
Feri.