[syslinux] IP details in COM32 module

Coe, Colin C. (Unix Engineer) Colin.Coe at woodside.com.au
Wed Jun 6 16:31:27 PDT 2007

> "Coe, Colin C. (Unix Engineer)" <Colin.Coe at woodside.com.au> writes:
>
> > I tried adding 'ipappend 1' to the pxelinux config files but had no
> > joy.
>
> Didn't it work as advertised?  It should.
>
> > I'm thinking that if I write a COM32 module that adds "ip=1.2.3.4
> > gateway=1.2.3.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 dns= etc" to the end of the
> > append line my problem may be solved.
>
> See http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2007-April/008308.html
> for a patch that does what you need (if I understand it correctly).
> Basically, it lets you use macros in the kernel command line,
> which expand to values read from the DHCP packet.  So in your
> pxelinux config file you would write something like
>
> label example
>   linux vmlinuz-2.6.18
>   append ip=$YIADDR$ gateway=$ROUTERS$ netmask=$MASK$ dns=$DNS$
>
> In the previous you can find another path, which probably
> does almost the same.  My patch is against 3.50-pre2, by I'd
> expect it to apply to the current 3.50 release candidate.  If
> it does not, I'm willing to shake it into form.
> --
> Cheers,
> Feri.

This looks exactly what I want.  I tried applying the patch against
3.50pre18 but it doesn't apply cleanly.  Any chance you could whack it
into shape?

Do you think this might be included in SYSLINUX proper soon?

When I say "ipappend 1" didn't work, what I mean is, Anaconda, the
RedHat installer, still tried to get a dhcp lease when I wanted it to
use the IP info specified from PXELINUX.

Thanks heaps

CC

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.