[syslinux] USB Keyboard

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Sun Jun 10 05:37:02 PDT 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 7:52, BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use.  When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work.  It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts.  I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems.  I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support.  I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).
>
>     I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
> (version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
> dell website to download and try).  My question is "Does anybody know
> how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
> This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
> normal keyboard.  When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
> caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.
>
>     I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
> as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
> would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
> normally, or if this machine is just defective.  The school's
> technician just says run windows and will not help.
>
> Thanks!

Not real familiar with those computers but see if there is a BIOS setting for
legacy keyboard or legacy usb and make sure its enabled.  It sounds like a
problem I have on a old Compaq Presario where I'm using a usb keyboard/mouse.
Unfortunately on his computer the BIOS doesn't have that option so in any
boot loader (GRUB, SYSLINUX, etc) I can't use the keyboard.  But after Linux
boots everythings fine.

-Chris