[syslinux] USB Keyboard

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 16:00:53 PDT 2007

On 6/10/07, BuraphaLinux Server <buraphalinuxserver at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use.  When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work.  It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts.  I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems.  I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support.  I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).
>
>     I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
> (version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
> dell website to download and try).  My question is "Does anybody know
> how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
> This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
> normal keyboard.  When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
> caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.
>
>     I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
> as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
> would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
> normally, or if this machine is just defective.  The school's
> technician just says run windows and will not help.
>
> Thanks!

Sounds like you should probably try Redinger's suggestion of a BIOS
downgrade.  For what it's worth though, most USB keyboards support the
PS/2 keyboard protocol.  If this is being too much of a problem, you
might wish to buy a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use your keyboard in
legacy mode to begin with.  You loose the ability to safely hotswap
devices (you can still do it, but it's dangerous to the system and
keyboard both,) but you would at least have a working keyboard in low
level environments.