[syslinux] Extremely broken BIOS detected

Leif W warp-9.9 at usa.net
Sat Jun 16 09:45:58 PDT 2007

Hello,

Not sure where to start looking, so I start with the program that threw
the message.  Not sure what information I need to provide or the
preferred formatting.

I did a BIOS update and now get an error message I never saw before.
System seems to boot ok, run programs ok, access devices ok (SATA DVD,
IDE HDD, SATA HDD, network, video, audio, USB, IEEE1394).  But I don't
think Linux knows my CPU (no friendly name for my AMD Athlon 64 X2
6000+), and it can't see all my RAM (3 of 8GB).  memtest86+ sees all my
RAM, I think.  Not sure if there's any other issues.  Disks don't have
proper file systems or OS installs on them as of yet.  2 discs were part
of a RAID6 set of 4.  4xSATA HDDs and 2xIDE HDDs.  Not sure if it's a
BIOS setting, software problem, hardware newer than software, etc.  I
didn't notice the error message with previous BIOS version.

Any pointers would be great.

Knoppix v5.1.1 DVD on ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe with BIOS 1004.

======== Error message ========
ISOLINUX 3.31 2006-09-25 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to
wing it
isolinux: Extremely broken BIOS detected, last ditch attempt with drive = 9F
isolinux: See http://syslinux.zytor.com/sbm for more information.