[syslinux] Extremely broken BIOS detected

Leif W warp-9.9 at usa.net
Sun Jun 17 04:26:55 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
 > Leif W wrote:
 >> Hello,
 >>
 >> I did a BIOS update and now get an error message I never saw before.
 >
 > It's very simple, you installed a BIOS with a broken El Torito stack.
 >
 > The fact that it boots anyway means that ISOLINUX was able to
 > successfully guess how to work around it.

Ok, now I'd like to gather specific information, in which way is it
broken, where does it fail, and why?  ASUS is notorious for the poor
customer support and poor English<->Chinese translation.  I'd like to
send them very simple detailed information about what is broken and why
it is a problem, and instructions on how to reliably reproduce the
problem so they can fix their BIOS.  I expect a reply from them along
the lines that "Since it work, it's no problem."

The Knoppix image was positively verified on the HDD, and all of the
files verified (both by MD5 checks).  I'm not sure how to verify if the
El Torito segment was properly burnt, or how to rule out faulty DVD
burner, incompatible DVD media, burn software bugs, etc, that may have
affected the El Torito portion of the DVD.  Additionally, it's very hard
to catch the error message as it's overwritten by a graphic image very
quickly, and must be cause with a PAUSE key after several reboot attempts.

So, I guess I'm wondering how to generate an ISO image that doesn't do
anything except spew out copious amounts of debug information, and if
it's more than can fit on a standard post-POST 80x25 text display, then
either allow me to scroll back, or better, save to a floppy.  It could
be a file system such as FAT12 or newer/bigger, or just raw to the
floppy, I don't care, as long as I can get at the error message data.

Thanks for the tips.

Leif