[syslinux] pxelinux and WDS server for Vista

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 22 09:43:05 PDT 2007

nicolas gateau wrote:
> I am testing BDD 2007 and WDS on a Windows 2003
> Server.
> I have a PXE Server with tftpd32 and pxelinux boot.
>
> Is it possible to have a menu entry that chain the
> first pxe booting(pxelinux) to the WDS Server which is
> on a different computer because I can't install WDS on
> the TFTP pxelinux.
>
> I have testing this entry:
> LABEL TEST WDS
> kernel ipadress::pxeboot.0
>
> but the first server always respond for transfering
> files after choosing this entry.

Ah, right.

The issue here is that after booting, the WDS server will ask PXE for
the DHCP packet... which of course will point it right back.

In theory it's possible to modify the DHCP packet in memory, but:

a. it's known not to work on some PXE stacks;
b. surgery on a DHCP packet is a fairly delicate operation.

(a) is a bigger problem than (b); the server IP and pathname happen to
have dedicated locations in the DHCP packet which makes it slightly less
cantankerous.

If I produce a patch to do that (warning: may not happen for a few
weeks, depending on how other committments go), would you be willing to
test it out?