[syslinux] pxelinux and WDS server for Vista

Ryan McLean ryanm at accelrys.com
Mon Jun 25 02:49:07 PDT 2007

Just a wee update, I have had a quick play about in WDS you need to have
it running in Mixed mode or legacy mode to be able to use the older RIS
images. Also I had a small problem when i upgraded in that WDS removes
RIS, more specifically it removes the exe "binlsvc" and replaces it with
"WDSServer" which does not start by default.. my restart RIS batch file is
now:

--------------------------------
@echo off
net stop WDSServer
rem net stop binlsvc
net stop tftpd
net stop groveler

net start groveler
net start tftpd
rem net start binlsvc
net start WDSServer

pause

If you cannot use PXE due to no image being sent and when you restart it
you see "system error 127" the above will correct it.

Then when you use PXE you will get a commandline menu asking what to do.
either choose a vista install or choose Remote installation services
(RIS).

Choosing RIS will get you to the original RIS deployment screen where my
tutorial comes into play to deploy linux.

Regards,

Ryan McLean