[syslinux] pxelinux and WDS server for Vista

Dyks, Axel (XL) xl at xlsigned.net
Mon Jun 25 08:06:57 PDT 2007

Dyks, Axel (XL) wrote:
> Ryan McLean wrote:
>> Sorry, it may be possible to create modified images but i wouldnt even
>> know where to start, I don't really think it would be worth the hassle.
>>
>> Why wouldnt mixed mode be an option? just use WDS for all windows based
>> images and then hide all you linux images in the RIS section. I created 2
>> security groups in my AD RIS-Admin & RIS-User. Both can add computers to
>> the network as i created an OU for all RIS'd computers to be placed in.
>> RIS-Admins have full control over the .sif files and pxelinux config files
>> whereas ris-users can only read and execute them.
>
> Mixed mode might not be an option, if one isn't responsible for the WDS
> server and the administrator refuses to / is afraid of switching to
> mixed mode, because of
>   * unknown consequences
>   * a more sophisticated setup (--> your net start/stop sequence)
>   * M$ not recommending this kind of setup
>   * M$ possibly removing legacy support in future versions
>
> If I were responsible for the WDS server in question, I would defintely
> prefer mixed mode over native mode, but I'm not.
>
> So, what I'd like to achieve is
>   * create a (native) WDS compatible boot image for pxelinux
>   * determine a set of simple and _reversible_ changes I would ask the WDS
>     adminstrator to apply, like
>       - copy the pxelinux boot image to ...
>       - edit the following config file and/or set the following registry keys
>       - restart the WDS services
>
> The good news is that I have more or less full access to a WDS test installation
> which I may play around with. So I could actively contribute to such a solution.
> Though it feels much better not being alone ...

Inspired by

  http://blogs.artinsoft.net/jose_aguilar_blog/archive/2007/05/16/1442.aspx

I currently ask myself, if it would be possible to change the default "boot program"
(for a specific machine) to "pxelinux.0" on WDS

  wdsutil.exe /set-device /Device:MACHINENAME /BootProgram:Boot\x86\pxelinux.0

and "chain boot" the original "pxeboot" loader from pxelinux

LABEL WDS
  kernel pxeboot.0

LABEL linux
  kernel ...

This is quite similar to what Nicolas -- who opened this thread --
was trying to do, but with the difference that the boot/tftp server
need not to be switched during the boot process.

Axel