[syslinux] Support DHCP sname field in PXELINUX

Dyks, Axel (XL) xl at xlsigned.net
Thu Jun 28 17:34:06 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Dyks, Axel (XL) wrote:
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>>>
>>> Well, there is the philosophy of being liberal in what you accept
>>> (conservative in what you send).  Another way to put it is "because it
>>> can."  If it can, which isn't guaranteed.
>>>
>> Wouldn't it make more sense then -- in case that siaddr is empty --
>> to add code for the "Server Identifier" option to "parse_dhcp_options"?
>>
>>     Code   Len            Address
>>    +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
>>    |  54 |  4  |  a1 |  a2 |  a3 |  a4 |
>>    +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
>>
>> This value does neither need parsing nor DNS lookup.
>>
>> I think this has already been requested ...
>>

> Probably should be added as third priority.

Priority settings did arrive a little late ...

BTW, what are you refering to as "third priority"?
Having _any_ workaround for missing "next-server" or
using option 54 for this purpose?

Anyway. It hasn't been too difficult, to add this feature to "pxelinux.asm".
So I've attached a patch (against 3.36 which happens to be the version I'm currently
using) and a small screenshot that demonstrates the new feature at work.

In case you'll like it, I would create a patch against head in "git".
It might also make sense to skip the additional diagnostic messages,
if size matters ...

Cheers,
Axel