[syslinux] in.tftpd syslog problem

Clifford Wagner syslinuxlist at ptmm.com
Sat Jun 30 08:59:37 PDT 2007

SYSLINUX,

I hope someone can help me out here.  I am working on a project that is using CentOS 5, and "tftp-hpa 0.42, with remap, with
tcpwrappers"

I did notice that 0.48 of in.tftpd is available with some updates to functionality and minor bugs.  I saw no indication of an update
to the specific functionality I am requesting help about, therefore I have not updated it or suggested that the project update it
yet.  I will bring it to their attention that there is a new version available and see if it will be included for testing in the new
version.

The issue I am having is trying to log the tftpd messages to a single file '/var/log/tftpd.log'

Here is my '/etc/xinetd.d/tftp':

service tftp
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -vs /tftpboot
        disable                 = no
        per_source              = 11
        cps                     = 100 2
        flags                   = IPv4
        log_type                = SYSLOG local5
}

I added this to syslog.conf:

local5.*        /var/log/tftpd.log

The first thing I did was add -v to the 'server_args' line and it started showing RRQ lines from the devices as they requested
files.  When I added the 'log_type = SYSLOG local5' it now only logs start and stop of the system in the 'tftpd.log' file (which
also show up in the '*.info' log file) but not the verbose output that was showing up before I put in the 'log_type' declaration.

Hopefully someone can help me figure this out, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clifford Wagner