[syslinux] is substitution possible?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 5 16:25:15 PST 2007

Wagner Ferenc wrote:

> Yes.  That would amount to issue another DHCP request from the
> initramfs.  No big deal, but I somehow have the impression that it
> doesn't belong there.  But why do you mention the TFTP server?  It
> just serves the config file to PXELINUX, which could munge it to its
> liking, couldn't it?  Ehrm, would you accept patches for such
> functionality?

I would, assuming they're clean.  One way that has been discussed in the
past is to do an HTTP to TFTP proxy server, another variant to execute
from a program.

The big problem with all of this is that it has to be done quickly,
because in the TFTP protocol there is no way to distinguish a request
retry from a second request, which could flood the server very quickly
if substitution is slow.  In order to support the "tsize" option, which
PXELINUX requires, one has to have the total transfer size ready before
transfer can begin.