[syslinux] Opinion wanted on F-key help in the simple menu system

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 5 21:42:41 PST 2007

Hi all,

3.40 is getting close to feature complete, with the one thing I really
want to add is support for F-key help in the simple menu system.

However, I'm not 100% sure how I want to do it.  This may seem trivial,
but it actually matters.

One option is to have the F-key help clear the screen and display text,
similar to the way it would work at the plain boot prompt.

Another option is to have the F-key help draw a window over the existing
display and display the text there.

The first option would make it easier to share help files with the
command line prompt, but that may not really be that interesting.  It
would also allow for changing the background (in vesamenu) if one would
want to.  The second option I suspect would look better.

Opinions?