[syslinux] is substitution possible?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Mar 6 02:45:47 PST 2007

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> Wagner Ferenc wrote:
>
>> [...] What sort of information does pxelinux have access to?  Can
>> it see the DHCP lease?  According to the FAQ, some options can be
>> passed in.  But I wouldn't like to change the configuration file
>> name based on the lease, but just do some simple text substitution.
>> So: pxelinux gets its config file by TFTP as usual.  Then, wherever
>> it sees $NAME, substitutes the host name found in the lease into
>> its place.  [...]  Then it parses the preprocessed config file and
>> goes on.
>
> I really don't want to do this in PXELINUX itself, which is mostly
> written in assembly.

Hmm, hearing this, my enthusiasm also receded somewhat.

> My point was that this can be done server-side as well.

Now that I had another look at the package name of my TFTP server, the
pieces start to fit together...  :)

But the TFTP server has no information but the IP of its client.  That
means it would need to maintain a separate mapping from IP-s to the
client specific data, very similar to the DHCP configuration.  That
sounds like unnecessary scattering of data.  Or am I mistaken again?
--
Feri.