[syslinux] Can't boot a kernel from usb drive

Brett magnesium_ at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 21:02:50 PST 2007

I have been trying to boot a kernel I compiled. I tried 2 different USB
thumb drives. I tried win32 syslinux 3.31 and 3.36 with no luck. I even
tried another known good kernel for testing purposes. After syslinux
starts I get "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" but I don't think it is
even really trying to run it. The last time I built a kernel about 1-1/2
years ago you could put a custom kernel on a floppy disk and just boot
your kernel from there. Since newer kernels are now larger than a floppy
and that kind of booting is no longer supported in the kernel itself I
hoped I could do this with syslinux. I basically just want to boot my hard
drive from a usb drive like I used to be able to do with a floppy. Should
I be able to do this with modern kernels and Syslinux?

Thanks,
Brett