[syslinux] pxelinux never OACKs tftp server response

Eric Irrgang erici at motown.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 7 22:26:13 PST 2007

After the PXE PROM code downloads and runs the pxelinux.0 image and it
tries to download config information the client stops acknowledging the
server OACK packets from the server.

pxelinux from syslinux 3.11 from Fedora RPM, accessing Solaris 10 in.tftpd

The tftp client in pxelinux.0 sends a tftp file read request with extended
options tsize \00 0 \00 blksize \00 1440 \00 and then the server responds
with opcode 6 (as per RFC 2347) and tsize \00 79 \00 blksize \00 1440 \00
and then the client just retries a few times and tries the next config
file.

The PXE card is using the blksize extended option with 1456 bytes and it
is working fine.

Something I notice is that the servers response never comes from port 69
but from an arbitrary higher-numbered port.  The PXE PROM just ACKs
(opcode 4) back to the port from which it received the OACK and the
conversation continues, but I wonder if the tftp client code in pxelinux
doesn't go for that.

Thoughts?

--
Eric Irrgang - UT Austin ITS Unix Systems