[syslinux] Converting from isolinux to extlinux

Dogsbody dan at dogsbody.org
Fri Mar 9 12:15:40 PST 2007

Hi all,

This maybe a newbie question in which case I apologise hugely.  While I'm not
new to Linux I am new to bootloaders :-/

I would like to install a custom CD distribution on a system via serial
interface (that bit I can do) but the system doesn't have a CD-ROM drive!  I'm
trying to copy the ISO to the disk and boot from that.

So far I have done this...
- Net boot the system from a server that is provided for troubleshooting
- fdisk, wipe all partitions and create one 800MB disk
- mkfs ext3 the partition
- mount the partition
- wget the iso image onto it
- mount the iso image as loopback
- copy the loopback image files to the partition

Now the original CD used ISOLINUX as the bootloader so I *thought* I could use
EXTLINUX to boot this partition and install the OS!?

So far I have done...
ln -s /mnt/sda1/isolinux /mnt/sda1/extlinux
cp /mnt/sda1/extlinux/isolinux.cfg /mnt/sda1/extlinux/extlinux.cfg
bin/extlinux -i /mnt/sda1/extlinux
cat syslinux-3.36/mbr/mbr.bin > /dev/sda

... bit that didn't work :-/

Any hints would be welcome! :-)

Thank you

Dan