[syslinux] Can't boot a kernel from usb drive

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Mar 10 11:05:39 PST 2007

Nazo wrote:

> Hmm, "invalid or corrupt kernel image" should mean just what it says
> -- that maybe there is something wrong with the file.  For starters,
> I'm not sure if it supports bzip compression.  I've been using gzip
> for all my kernel and image files as it at least used to be necessary
> I think.  I wonder though if using the lable "linux" is wise since
> when in a default unconfigured state it expects to find a kernel file
> named "linux."

When syslinux prints "invalid or corrupt kernel image" it means that the
kernel image has failed some very basic accuracy tests, and most likely
means that it didn't fetch the header correctly.  This can happen if the
BIOS can read part of the disk correctly and not other.

Again, I'd really like to know CBIOS vs EBIOS; this is printed in the
syslinux banner; you can also get it by pressing Ctrl-V at the boot: prompt.