[syslinux] memdisk from 3.36 crashing on Dell PowerEdge 1955

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 12 15:56:05 PDT 2007

Andreas Kotes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> [20070312 23:15]:
>>> uhm - that's not what I meant :) both 3.36 and 3.40-pre12 fail, so .. a
>>> memdisk with more debugging information would be appreciated :)
>> What you see is what you get, sorry; the fact that you don't even get a
>> that it dies on some pretty fundamental level.
>
> whoops? that is strange. linux kernels get loaded okay.
>
> any recommendations at all, or am I simply out of luck?

That is indeed extremely weird, because as far as syslinux is concerned,
memdisk *IS* a Linux kernel.  I really have no good explanation for
this!  One thing you could try is to specify a mem= option and tweak it
a bit; that will make syslinux load the disk image in different places.
  However, I find it hard to see *at all* how it could fail before
showing something like: