[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.40-pre13 released -- major new library work

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Mar 14 19:29:40 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I just pushed out SYSLINUX 3.40-pre13.  Hopefully with the new
kernel.org changes, it should already have been pushed out by the time
you read this, instead of after a painful delay.

Anyway, I finally got around to finishing the library support for the
shuffle and boot interface (much thanks to my new employer, rPath, Inc.)

As a demo of this functionality -- as well as being a requested feature
-- I implemented a COM32 module to load an ELF kernel and run it in
protected mode.  The whole file is 286 lines, *including* comments,
blank lines and fairly copious sanity checking.  I highly recommend
looking through it as an example on how to implement this kind of
functionality; it is *extremely* powerful.  The general principle of
operation is to get the data you need into memory, *anywhere* in memory.
  Then the library automatically computes a sequence of memory moves in
order for it to end up at the desired place in memory.

Also, if you have a need to boot ELF-based protected mode kernels
(someone asked me about QNX Neutrino recently?) it would be a good thing
to test this stuff out.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/