[syslinux] Chainloading syslinux from windows

Bill Maurer billm at millsoft.ca
Fri Mar 16 19:52:07 PDT 2007

I have a number of syslinux based USB sticks which can be booted from PCs
that support USB boot. I also have a number of PCs that do not support USB
Boot. They are running Windows 2000 and Windows XP typically from ntfs
formatted single partition drives. Is there a way to chainload syslinux
residing on a plugged in usb stick from boot.ini? I've seen instructions for
how to do this for OSs on alternate partitions of the boot drive but not on
separate drives.

The following doesn't seem to work:

    E:\usboot.bs="USB Boot"

where usbboot.bs is the 512 byte syslinux boot sector from the usb stick
(saved onto the usb stick with dd).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Bill