[syslinux] PXE Problem

Jacob Alifrangis jalifrangis at authenticlick.net
Tue Mar 20 18:18:21 PDT 2007

I am testing out a new configuration with PXELinux on our network, and
have run into a snag.

Here is the problem:

                Whenever my client (Virtual PC) boots to the new PXE
config file, it locks up when it hits the MENU TITLE Directive.

                If I am using the vesamenu.c32 or menu.c32, roughly the
same thing happens, with vesa, the screen switches to graphical mode and
locks up, the menu.c32 just locks up.

                Any help would be appreciated.

Environmental details:

                TFTP Server

                                Microsoft TFTP

                                192.168.1.125 - static

                Dhcp

                                066         192.168.1.125

                                067         oschooser\pxelinux.0

Directory layout:

                [TFTP / RIS ROOT]

                /REMINST
-Exported as root via tftp

                /REMINST/OSCHOOSER

                /REMINST/OSCHOOSER/PXELINUX.cfg

Contents of oschooser

                Pxelinux.cfg

                Vesamenu.c32

                Menu.c32

                Pxelinux.cfg/default

[pxlinux.cfg/default]

Say <FF>

Say                         Booting PXE Menu

Say                         --------+Loading Menu

default vesamenu.c32

Say                         --------+Starting Menu

prompt 0

ipappend 0

Menu TITLE Hi!

Label RIS

MENU LABEL ^Remote Installation Services

KERNEL i386\startrom.com