[syslinux] dynamic tftp content?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Mar 22 12:02:02 PDT 2007

Op 20-03-2007 om 14:51 schreef Craig:
[ dynamic content ]

> Do you happen to know why PXE requires tftp? Wouldn't it have made more
> sense to do some kind of http or ftp download? (I would think http would
> be a little easier.)

That does remind me of the EtherBoot project [1]

I'm not aware of it's current status, but EB has/had a HTTP client
for downloading a kernel.

To solve the dynamic content challenge, you have at server side the
components that where allready mentioned:  DHCP, TFTP & HTTP server.

At client side happens this:

* Power up
* Bootrom code comes alive
* Bootrom DHCP request
* DHCP offer processed
* EtherBoot code fetched by TFTP
* start E.B.
* EB DHCP request & DHCP offer proccessed  [2]
* (Dynamic) content fetched by HTTP
* start / continue with the content

Hope this helps
Geert Stappers

[1] http://www.etherboot.org forwards to http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/index.php
[2] or another thing that starts talking to the outside world