[syslinux] dynamic tftp content?

Andreas Kotes count-linux at flatline.de
Fri Mar 23 12:08:26 PDT 2007

Hello,

* Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> [20070323 18:20]:
> Op 22-03-2007 om 21:37 schreef Andreas Kotes:
> > The Etherboot guys are doing gPXE, which provides HTTP download, but
> > this doesn't seem to be production quality yet, so I'd not recommend it.
>
> And if the question was
>
> | I would like to create an app to configure new systems.
>
> would the recommendation stay the same?

depends on your environment (i.e. would you prefer debugging probably
unstable & still changing foreign code or rather your own) - but in
general, yes. PXE with DHCP and TFTP are proven and reliable
technologies. FUSE gained reliability over the last years. gPXE is
called pre-release by it's own developers.

it all depends on how much time you're willing to invest into how
reliable a solution - which might depend on wether you're planning to
configure dozens or thousands of systems.

   Andreas

--
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." -- H.L.Mencken