[syslinux] Antwort: Re: pxelinux: Doing DHCP-Release?

Ryan McLean ryanm at accelrys.com
Fri Mar 30 02:30:10 PDT 2007

IMHO,

You should scrap your staic IPs in favour of a DHCP Reservations.
It would make your network easier to manage and you can easily add and
remove subnets.
tbph the hardest and most time consuming part is making the switch but 2
people (one to get MAC addresses and change machines to dynamic, the other
to add the reservation to the DHCP server) with radios can do ~100pcs in a
few hours. Or you could start the swap over with the new builds and
gradually phase the static IPs out..

My previous employment used static IPs when i joined (~1500 PCs) and when
we migrated to Win2k3 servers we changed all the PCs to dynamic IPs with
reservations.
Managing the systems became alot easier and we nolonger had to worry about
update spreadsheets of IP addresses and IP conflicts stopped pretty soon
there after.

Regards,

Ryan McLean