[syslinux] Using pxelinux mboot.c32 to multiboot Solaris

Tim Deegan tjd at phlegethon.org
Tue May 1 02:07:29 PDT 2007

At 16:22 +1000 on 01 May (1178036562), Doug Scoular wrote:
> title PXEGrub x86 Jumpstart
> kernel /solaris/multiboot.sol10 kernel/unix -v -m verbose install
> http://64.104.195.120/jumptest/test1.tar -B
> install_media=172.16.254.129:/export/install
> module /solaris/x86.miniroot.sol10
>
> And here's my attempt to convert the above to pxelinux multiboot:
>
> LABEL JUMPSTART
>        MENU LABEL ^Solaris Jumpstart
>        kernel mboot.c32
>        APPEND /solaris/multiboot.sol10 kernel/unix -v -m verbose
> install http://64.104.195.120/jumptest/test1.tar -B
> install_media=172.16.254.129:/export/install ---
> /solaris/x86.miniroot.sol10

That looks exactly right.

> It appears to call sysinfo(SI_DHCP_CACHE, &dummy, sizeof (dummy))) to
> determine whether the kernel used DHCP.
>
> My question is, why is there a difference between pxegrub booting Solaris
> and mboot.c32 ?

Hmmm.  Looks like something much earlier has failed to send a DHCP
request.  I wonder if the kernel command-line is being passed
differently by mboot.c32 and PXEGrub.

Can you attach a serial line or similar and compare the boot messages
printed in each case?  I'm not terribly familiar with opensolaris.

Tim.

--
                                         Tim Deegan <tjd at phlegethon.org>
                           Your own people will kill you to prevent this