[syslinux] syslinux versus pxelinux

Pascal Vandeputte pascal.vandeputte at intec.ugent.be
Thu May 3 12:59:14 PDT 2007

Pascal Vandeputte wrote:
[...]
> I learnt a lot, but Murphy surely has a hand in this...
> atftpd is now swapped out for tftpd-hpa, and other netboot options
> (Knoppix terminal server etc) still work perfectly, but all of a sudden
> the FreeBSD disk image doesn't work anymore! What gives? TFTP'ing a file
> is TFTP'ing a file, isn't it? Instead of seeing the FreeBSD boot loader
> appear there's now only a "Read error" after "Loading boot sector...
> booting...". This should be the BSD boot code speaking.
> MEMDISK complains "Image seems to have fractional end cylinder", but
> maybe it did so before already.

After rebuilding that FreeBSD image a few times while double-checking
everything, the solution to this enigma emerged:

=> I was still using memdisk version 3.07 while testing with the FreeBSD
image and only upgraded to 3.36 to be sure I wasn't wrestling with an
issue which was already fixed, prior to mailing to the maillist.

So a FreeBSD image works with memdisk 3.07 but NOT with 3.36.
Interesting, don't you think?

Now if we try the very same UBCD image once more, we get some SYSLINUX
output:

"Could not find kernel image: linux"

It's not much, but it's something.

Greetings,