[syslinux] syslinux versus pxelinux

Pascal Vandeputte pascal.vandeputte at intec.ugent.be
Thu May 3 13:54:00 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Pascal Vandeputte wrote:
>> After rebuilding that FreeBSD image a few times while double-checking
>> everything, the solution to this enigma emerged:
>>
>> => I was still using memdisk version 3.07 while testing with the FreeBSD
>> image and only upgraded to 3.36 to be sure I wasn't wrestling with an
>> issue which was already fixed, prior to mailing to the maillist.
>>
>> So a FreeBSD image works with memdisk 3.07 but NOT with 3.36.
>> Interesting, don't you think?
>>
>> Now if we try the very same UBCD image once more, we get some SYSLINUX
>> output:
>>
>> "Could not find kernel image: linux"
>>

> Could you try 3.50-pre6?
>
> 	-hpa

Assuming you are aiming at the memdisk issue: unfortunately 3.50-pre6
cannot start the FreeBSD image either.

After going through some versions prior to 3.36 it appears that the
change occurred between 3.31 (working) and 3.35 (not working). Currently
testing the "Testing/Obsolete" versions and it seems the fatal change
was done going from 3.32-pre2 to 3.32-pre3.

If you're interested I can supply you with the disk image file for testing.

Greetings,

Pascal Vandeputte