[syslinux] cbios disk read problems

Ram Yalamanchili ramyinc at gmail.com
Thu May 3 23:46:53 PDT 2007

On 5/3/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Well, there is the cylinder < 1024 limitation of CBIOS; of course
> individual BIOSes can have additional bugs.

The CHS calculated was: 138, 0, 31 respectively.

So, i guess thats not the issue. Does the geometry gotten from the
disk info seem right? While doing the mkdiskimage, the parameters
were:

mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdd 4 64 32

disk_info->sect is 32, but head is 16 from what i get from the bios.
Isn't it supposed to be 64 or am I missing something?

> 34 MB sounds suspicious, since it's just above the 32 MB mark for 16-bit
> linear sector numbers, by the way.
>
>         -hpa

hmm ic..  i'll do some tests to see if reads go ok for files located
under the 32MB mark. This probably will show in chain.c32 too if the
partition is located above the 32MB mark. There is a possibility the C
version of this code is broken somehow compared to the CBIOS routine
in ldlinux.asm, etc. Will report back... :)

--
Ram