[syslinux] PXELinux cfg file problem

Alex Holliday metaphage at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 21:34:51 PDT 2007

Hi I am trying to set up a thin client. I have managed to set up DHCP and
TFTP on a Fedora Core 6 server but the problem is when PXELinux on the
client tries to load the configuration file. I get the message:

Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/01-00-0c-29-ca-7a-ce
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/0A000014
etc..
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default
Unable to locate configuration file

If I use a TFTP client to connect to the server, I am able to download the
configuration files by specifying the exact file name that pxelinux is
trying to download. So what's the problem? I have played around with
permissions to no avail. I have not been able to find any log files, or
information on log files. I have tried using pxelinux 3.11 and am now using
3.36 and there is no difference.

Here are my configuration files and directory structure:

/tftpboot
    pxelinux.0
    pxelinux.1
    vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
    pxelinux.cfg/
        01-00-0c-29-ca-7a-ce
        01-00-0C-29-CA-7A-CE
        default

/etc/dhcpd.conf:
---------------------------
ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

option subnet-mask		255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address	10.0.0.255;
option routers			10.0.0.138;

option root-path		"10.0.0.3:/thin";

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range dynamic-bootp 10.0.0.10 10.0.0.20;
    filename "pxelinux.1";
}

/etc/xinetd.d/tftp.conf:
---------------------------