[syslinux] isolinux usage problem

Tobias Pflug Gilligan- at gmx.net
Thu May 10 09:17:24 PDT 2007

hi everyone,

I am trying to create a custom live cd but I am
having some problems with isolinux.

A rough sketch of my process :

1) bootstrapped a small rpm based system in /target
2) dd if=/dev/zero of=images/initrd.img bs=1k count=262144
3) /sbin/mke2fs -F -v -m0 images/initrd.img
4) mount -o loop images/initrd.img ./initrd_tmp
5) cp -av /target/* ./initrd_tmp
6) umount
7) gzip -9 < images/initrd.img > images/initrd.bin
8) cp images/initrd.bin staging_iso_image/boot/isolinux/initrd.bin
9) mkisofs -R -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
   -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o \
   iso/cdrom_linux_boot_proj1.iso staging_iso_image/boot

The image does boot and the kernel that I specified loads, but the
boot process freezes at:

"RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0"

I should add that, when I do not specify the ramdisk size
as boot parameter the kernel complains about trying to read
beyond ramdisk size. If I do specify the size (as I pasted below)
the boot process freezes like I just said.

I am well aware that this problem might just be the cause of
general stupidity and nothing isolinux specific but this ml
was the best place I could think of :)

Thank you for any help.
regards,

Tobi

PS:
from my isolinux.cfg:

kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.bin init=/sbin/init root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=262144