[syslinux] isolinux bin and Xen.gz kernel

Eric Nicholson jenicholson at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:31:23 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Eric Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that the grub.conf file now has a kernel line referencing the
> > "/xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.3el5"  with a seperate module line for
> > "vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.3el5xen"
> >
> > Does the isolinux.cfg file support the "module" line?
> >
> > It seems like something needs to be added to the isolinux.cfg to make
> > this work now.
> >

> To load Xen-based kernels you have to use the SYSLINUX multiboot module
> -- mboot.c32.  See the mailing list archives
> (http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives), or there might be something on the
> wiki (http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki).
>
>        -hpa

Thanks for the help, I am now getting much further.  However, I now
get the following message:

kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1,0)

Above this message I can see a message saying that it is loading the
ramdisk filesystem..done , and then a message that says:

 EXT2-fs block size to small for device
grow_buffers: out of range block...

The rest scrolls pretty quick.

I have searched through the archives listed above and have been trying
different options but still no luck in getting past the panic.

Here is a copy of what my isolinux.cfg looks like:

default linux
display message
prompt 1
timeout 600
label linux
  kernel mboot.c32
  append xen.gz nosmp noacpi --- vmlinuz ramdisk=30720 root=/dev/ram0
--- initrd.img

The initrd.img is an ext2 filesystem. Is there a particular block size
to be used to create the ext2 fs for the ramdisk to load properly now
and mount?

Any ideas on what I'm missing or need to add for mounting the ramdisk image?

Thanks again,
Eric