[syslinux] isolinux bin and Xen.gz kernel

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri May 11 02:10:49 PDT 2007

Updates on http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Xen are very welcome.

> However, I now get the following message:
>
> kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1,0)
    <snip/>
> I have searched through the archives listed above and have been trying
> different options but still no luck in getting past the panic.

The syslinux archive is about the syslinux bootloader family.
Booted kernels that can't access a root filesystem
could be a "syslinux issue",
but could be also outside the scoop of syslinux.

> Here is a copy of what my isolinux.cfg looks like:
 <snip/>
>   kernel mboot.c32
>   append xen.gz nosmp noacpi --- vmlinuz ramdisk=30720 root=/dev/ram0 --- initrd.img
>
> The initrd.img is an ext2 filesystem. Is there a particular block size
> to be used to create the ext2 fs for the ramdisk to load properly now
> and mount?
>
> Any ideas on what I'm missing or need to add for mounting the ramdisk image?

Information that might help:

  There was / is much evolution in the initrd area.

My advice is to
 reread up-to-date documentation of the initrd tools that you are using.

> Thanks again,
> Eric

Looking forward for feedback
Geert Stappers