[syslinux] pxe password protect option

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu May 17 10:09:59 PDT 2007

Jerry Nelson wrote:
> I tried this again with pxelinux.0 version 3.31 & 3.36 and I
> Do have "MENU PASSWD" after the LABEL's I'm testing.
>
> Every time, prompt or no prompt, timeout or no timeout, this boots
> straight into the kernel and never prompts me for a password?
>
> IS there anything else I can do or test? - the -vv options for DHCP
> Doesn't really help me debug anything.

That is really bizarre.

Are you sure you have updated the menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 module to match
pxelinux.0?  (I'm asking because sometimes we have people reporting bugs
which turn out to be version mismatches.)

The other thing to do is to add debugging messages to the source code
(com32/modules/menumain.c) and try to figure out why it doesn't display
the password input box.

I'm at a loss, because I can't reproduce your failure.  Just to be
paranoid, does 3.50-pre10 also fail for you?