[syslinux] Including multiple configuration files

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 22 19:36:50 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Yes.  The core of syslinux is written in assembly, and the memory
> management issues in the assembly code makes maintaining multiple open
> buffers infeasible.  The menu system is written in C and doesn't have
> this limitation.

<sheepishly>Bullshit.</sheepishly>  I just realized that this was true
at one point, but isn't anymore -- the infrastructure changes that were
necessary to support blksize (PXELINUX), FAT32 (SYSLINUX) and EXTLINUX
already take care of the necessary extra buffering.  ISOLINUX currently
doesn't use it, but the SYSLINUX/EXTLINUX variant should carry straight
over with minimal changes.

Maybe this isn't even all that hard to do.