[syslinux] Booting a multi-ISO CD on a Mac.

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Wed May 23 09:52:42 PDT 2007

Selon Lonnie Mullenix <gen2 at scicable.com>:

> Is this even a possibility?
>
> Both my brother and I have PPC G3 Mac's that we would like to install
> Linux on.  I have downloaded a couple of Debian ISOs and a couple of
> Gentoo ISOs.  All four would easily fit on a single CD.  So, my
> question/problem is, is it possible to configure a menu to chose
> between them, that will boot up on a Mac PPC?

boot capability depend on Mac flavor (and related openfirmware version)
- Oldworld are every Mac until G3 beige include, there is no free driver
allowing to boot from cdrom
Directly booting an oldworld machine to linux is hard.
That's much easier from bootx installed on MacOS.

- Newworld are every Mac starting from G3 blue and white, they are able to boot
from cdrom and usb key.

My advice would be to learn first from existing iso before attempting to
create your own.
syslinux will not work on ppc, maybe yaboot if you have a Newworld flavor.

Gilles