[syslinux] SOLUTION: Version 3.35 problems with Broadcom BCM5780 chipset

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue May 29 04:42:49 PDT 2007

In this thread:
   http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2007-February/008014.html
I reported that IBM Opteron servers with Broadcom BCM5780 chipsets
would freeze randomly in the PXE menus from the SYSLINUX 3.35
tools vesamenu.c32 and menu.c32.  There did not seem to be any
reason for this nor systematics in when the servers would lock up.

The solution is now available:  Upgrade your IBM servers to the
latest Broadcom firmware released by IBM on May 21, 2007 !
The IBM web-page is at
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-53693&brandind=5000008

There is no hint what Broadcom did to solve our PXE problem,
but the menu.c32 certainly works without any glitch now.
It should be noted that we have also upgraded the system BIOS
to the latest release, but I haven't determined if the BIOS
level has any influence on the PXE menu problem.

--
Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark