[syslinux] memtest86+.. How do I load it with pxelinux?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed May 30 00:59:30 PDT 2007

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au wrote:
> I've just spent at least half an hour swapping files, downloading things
> and stuffing around with memtest86 and memtest86+. I can't get either to
> start from pxelinux.
>
> Currently I have "memtest86" as the filename, and i'm trying to load it
> direct (not trying to use memdisk or anything). This just results in a
> near instant reboot.
> Am I doing something wrong? I can't find much info at all about how to
> load these tools. I'd just use their ISO, but I haven't got a working CD
> drive anywhere.

As easy as pie:

1. Download the Memtest86 source code from http://www.memtest.org/#downcode

2. cd (source dir); cp precomp.bin /tftpboot/memtest86

3. Configure PXE booting by a file containing:
default memtest
label memtest
kernel memtest86

I documented this in
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/System_administration#network-booting-memtest86

--
Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark