[syslinux] I'd like to eventually support network console, at least in pxelinux.

n schembr nschembr at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 11:04:45 PST 2007

H. Peter Anvin
    hpa at zytor.com

    Thu Jun  3 00:09:30 PDT 2004
              [ date ]
              [ thread ]
              [ subject ]
              [ author ]

I've been thinking about the whole gfxmenu thing, and I'm rather
interested in writing some VESA graphics support code for com32.
However, I'm a completely worthless graphics designer, and I really
don't want to do the graphics design, for obvious reasons.  Partly
because I think if we're going to do a graphical menu system it should
be possible to theme it, and do various kinds of animated graphics, etc.

So, if I hack up some basic graphic-access routines, is anyone
interested in actually doing the heavy lifting and making it look really
cool?

I think what I'd really like to see in the end is something that can
talk to the VESA graphics screen, if one exist, otherwise to a text-mode
  screen, and also to a serial port (using escape codes.)

The last is important and quite possibly the biggest shortcoming of the
current menu system.  Serial console is a big win, and I'd like to
eventually support network console, at least in pxelinux.

Hi,

Would it be hard to add a network console to syslinux, extlinux and isolinux?

Maybe something like Redboot Ethernet console.

I'm finding it hard to get new equipment with serial ports. Gateway, desktop, has the chip on the motherboard but removed the internal and external connectors .
This is the same for my laptop. I know that the motherboard has a uart but I can't get to it with out a soldering iron.

Thank you for your time and a great product,

Nicholas A. Schembri
State College PA USA