[syslinux] Archives and sector read error

Devin Bayer Devin at freeshell.org
Sat Nov 10 03:33:34 PST 2007

Hello.  I sent a message describing an odd bug I'm having with
syslinux.com.  I didn't get a reply so I looked to see if it was
archived correctly.  It seems the archives at http://
syslinux.zytor.com/archives/ are very incomplete, because I can't
find several of the recent threads listed there.

My original message follows:

I cannot install syslinux on my hard disk image.  I believe it's a
bug but am not sure what could be causing it.  Steps to reproduce the
problem:

(1) Create a zeroed disk image with 800 tracks, 32 sides, and 63
sectors or 825753600 bytes
(2) Fdisk and format it with "format.com /S C:" from windows 98SE
boot disk.
(3) Copy syslinux.com (tested version 3.11, 3.20, and latest
released) to C:\.
(4) Run "lock C:" and press "Y" (why is this necessary?)
(5) Boot drive and run "syslinux c:"
(6) Get "sector read error"

I am using qemu 0.9.0. I tried one other disk with a different
geometry and it worked fine.

If it's easier you can download the disk ready to boot at http://
devin.freeshell.org/syslinux-read-error.img.bz2

Thanks,
Devin Bayer