[syslinux] client hangs on pxelinux

Firas Swidan frsswdn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 12:19:15 PST 2007

Hi Geert,

Here are more details about the settings of both server and client:
This is my first time setting a pxe boot.

* server (services using standard ports):
- dhcp: 3.0.6
- tftp: 0.42
- pxelinux: 3.10 (2005-08-24)

Here is the dhcp.conf:

******************** dhcp.conf **********************
ddns-update-style none;
ddns-updates off;
option T150 code 150 = string;
deny client-updates;
one-lease-per-client false;

allow booting;
allow bootp;

next-server 192.168.0.1;
filename "linux-install/pxelinux.0";

option space PXE;
option PXE.mtftp-ip code 1 = ip-address;
option PXE.mtftp-cport code 2 = unsigned integer 16;
option PXE.mtftp-sport code 3 = unsigned integer 16;
option PXE.mtftp-tmout code 4 = unsigned integer 8;
option PXE.mtftp-delay code 5 = unsigned integer 8;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

    range 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.254;
    # Provide PXE clients with appropriate information
    class "pxeclient" {
          match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
"PXEClient";
          vendor-option-space PXE;

          option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";

          option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0; #use ordinary TFTP, not MTFTP.
    }
    default-lease-time 6000;
    max-lease-time 7200;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option time-offset -3600;

}

#the following might be needed, not obvious.

group {
        option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";

        vendor-option-space PXE;

}

********************* dhcp.conf ******************

* client:

- booting through a dos floppy disk with etherboot 5.4 pxe program (PC
has an old non-pxe NIC and dos gives some maneuvering space over
direct pxe floppy).
- etherboot works well, client is assigned a dynamic IP(Me:
192.168.0.252), and pxelinux is transfered over the net (in 10 packets
- monitoring net traffic with wireshark).
- pxelinux starts to boot till it hangs after printing all of the following:

PXELINUX 3.10 2005-08-24 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
UNDI data segment at: 0009D400
UNDI data segment size: 1000
UNDI data segment at: 0009E400
UNDI data segment size: 0AB0
PXE entry point found (we hope) at 9E40:0680
MY IP address seems to be C0A800FC 192.168.0.252
ip=192.168.0.252:192.168.0.1:0.0.0.0:255.255.255.0

then client hangs. PC reacts to nothing (no keyboard, no C+Alt+del, nada)

Any tips how to proceed from here are heartily appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Firas.