[syslinux] client hangs on pxelinux

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Nov 12 01:15:34 PST 2007

Op 11-11-2007 om 22:19 schreef Firas Swidan:
> On Nov 10, 2007 1:35 PM, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:

> Hi Geert,

Do me a favour and reply below the text.
Deleting non-informative text is also appricated.

See the hpa postings for good examples ...

> > Take more time to tell about the configuration that is used.
> > The important things are the general things like
> > the setup of both server and client, also if has worked ever before.
> >
> > Details like version numbers may also help.
>
> Here are more details about the settings of both server and client:
> This is my first time setting a pxe boot.

Once I was also a beginner (we were all newbies once ;-)

> * server (services using standard ports):
> - dhcp: 3.0.6
> - tftp: 0.42
> - pxelinux: 3.10 (2005-08-24)

Meanwhile is 3.52 available.

> Here is the dhcp.conf:
>
> ******************** dhcp.conf **********************
  <snip/>
> ********************* dhcp.conf *****************i*

Looks mostly fine...   (just read on )

> * client:
>
> - booting through a dos floppy disk with etherboot 5.4 pxe program (PC
>   has an old non-pxe NIC and dos gives some maneuvering space over
>   direct pxe floppy).
> - etherboot works well, client is assigned a dynamic IP(Me:
>   192.168.0.252), and pxelinux is transfered over the net (in 10 packets
> - monitoring net traffic with wireshark).
> - pxelinux starts to boot till it hangs after printing all of the following:
>
> PXELINUX 3.10 2005-08-24 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
> UNDI data segment at: 0009D400
> UNDI data segment size: 1000
> UNDI data segment at: 0009E400
> UNDI data segment size: 0AB0
> PXE entry point found (we hope) at 9E40:0680
> MY IP address seems to be C0A800FC 192.168.0.252
> ip=192.168.0.252:192.168.0.1:0.0.0.0:255.255.255.0

My setup has a router at the "0.0.0.0",
faking a router with the server might help, add to the dhcpd.conf
   option routers 192.168.0.1 ;

> then client hangs. PC reacts to nothing (no keyboard, no C+Alt+del, nada)

The client should be fetching pxelinux.cfg files.

> Any tips how to proceed from here are heartily appreciated.

Checking what is going on at ethernet level, could provide more clues.

> Thanks for your help,
> Firas.

Let us known if http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php needs an update.

Cheers