[syslinux] Syslinux & usb booting

Lauri Kasanen curaga at operamail.com
Sun Nov 25 02:59:30 PST 2007

Hi

It looks to me there's some issues in the Linux implementation of syslinux (root ver, I don't have mtools).

When I used "syslinux -sf /dev/sda1", the stick was not bootable, it showed a black screen when booted, with a ";" appearing when I pressed a button.

The partition was marked active & bootable. And it was the only partition, and primary.

Then I did the same thing on XP, aka "syslinux -sf f:". And whatdoyouknow, it booted fine.

After using syslinux on linux "file -s /dev/sda" showed the same than right after formatting. But after using syslinux on Windoze it showed only "x86 boot sector", without all the mkdosfs id's.

So, why doesn't the linux version work properly?

Lauri