[syslinux] Any workaround for ThinkPad memdisk?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Oct 3 19:46:58 PDT 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Rudy Moore wrote:
>
> > I saw the Nov. 2006 message on Memdisk having a problem with ThinkPads.  I also
> > saw the comment in the memdisk code enabling and disabling A20.
> >
> > I've got a ThinkPad x61t that memdisk is not loading disk images on.  The
> > symptom is that it gets as far as saying "Loading boot sector... booting..."
> > Then image partially runs - FreeDOS prints out its kernel message and it's
> > warranty.  FreeDos stops at the line " - InitDisk" and then hangs.
> >
> > Is this a known problem?  Is there any workaround?
>
> No, this is the first time I've heard of it.

Euhm, I think this one fits into my list of recurring Thinkpad related
memdisk problems. As seen in this post:

	http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2004-January/003085.html

Depending on the memdisk version (and likely FreeDOS) the symptoms may be
different. I've made other posts wrt. Thinkpads (xSeries/Netfinitty
BIOSes) and memdisk.

(hoping to one day being able to flash my Thinkpad BIOS using memdisk)