[syslinux] extlinux graphical menu with function keys

Gordon Schumacher whiplash at pobox.com
Mon Oct 8 13:15:47 PDT 2007

# Hi all,
#
# I have a question regarding the syslinux menu as used on the Ubuntu,
# Sabayon, ... live CD's.
# According to the syslinux documentation the function keys can be used
# to display a help file, but in the menu of these live distros the
# function keys are used to pick the resolution, language and keyboard.
#
# I would like to bind a submenu to these function keys. Is this
# possible and how can this be accomplished?
# Or if anybody knows a place where this topic is documented, please let
# me know.
#
# Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As it happens, I just finished a (hopefully less crufty) patch
to accomplish exactly what you're after.  It's not quite as "pretty"
on the screen as SuSE's stuff, but it's much "prettier" code and
HUGELY easier to use.  (I wasted several hours trying to make SuSE's
stuff work on my live-CD...)

http://www.valleyhold.org/~gordons/syslinux-optmenus.diff

The message I sent about it should be hitting the list archive soon,
and the patch also updates README.menu with the new keywords.

HTH, let me know if this works for you!