[syslinux] Adding a "boot from local hard disk" option to syslinux menu, booted from USB

Dyks, Axel (XL) xl at xlsigned.net
Tue Oct 23 16:42:23 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Dyks, Axel (XL) wrote:
>> Well, though it's not "syslinux" you could try the "grub" booloader
>> which has a "map" command that allows to "swap" BIOS drives.
>>
>> Would be interesting to know whether "grub" is able to "see" the
>> laptop drive when booting from your USB disk and swap the laptop
>> drive back into first position ...
>>

> If it's not exported, no swapping in the world will help it.

Yes, but I thought, it would be worse a try.
Actually, I don't know how much BIOS interaction has been coded into grub (< 2.0).
Personally I prefer "syslinux" over "grub", but it's the "Load OS from other than the boot disk"
features of "grub" that often make we switch.

I'm possibly talking non-sense, because newer versions of syslinux will surely be capable
of doing exactly what I need ...

Cheers,

Axel